Sunday, September 27, 2009

Updates and Some Random Minutia

That's a word, right? Minutia? Cause, y'all, I'm so tired right now that I can't really remember. My little Grace is giving me a run for my money, up pretty much every two hours for the last 3-4 nights. That just ain't right. Not that I'm complaining! Well, I am a little. Anyway, Becky had a great idea the other day to clean house--give updates on any blog topics of the past. And since I seem to only be able to think in bullet points at the mo, that sounded like a great idea to me!

1. The Duststorm.
So, here's a photo of the Sydney Harbour Bridge on a normal day:

And here's what it looked like last Wednesday morning:

Can you believe that? That was the scene all through the city. It was quite apocalyptic.

Those who know are saying it's the worst duststorm to hit Sydney in the last 60-70 years, and the appearance of it was unlike anything anyone's ever seen here before. And it was a disaster for farmers in our state. We had another more minor duststorm on Friday, so it's a good thing I hadn't dusted the house yet! I have such foresight, you see. And you would NOT believe the wind over the last two days. It is just roaring against the house. I can hear it all night long. Every two hours, in fact. Cause I'm up at those times, you see. BUT I AM NOT BITTER ABOUT THAT.

2. Ava's eating habits.
I am proud and somewhat shocked to say that Ava now has 4 fruits (grapes, strawberries, kiwi fruit and oranges) and 2 veggies (corn and carrots) in her dietary repertoire. Of course, the quantities of said foods are so small that I seriously doubt it is having alot of nutritional impact. But we gotta start somewhere, right? And at least she's not gagging anymore. She still won't admit that any of it tastes good, though!

Yesterday, she said "I wish I was a cat." "Why's that?", I said. "Cause then I wouldn't have to eat fruit and veggies," she said. Of course, I pointed out that she would have to eat cat food instead. I offered to buy her some so she could see how it compares to grapes, but she turned me down.

3. My recent furniture acquisitions.
Our side-of-the-road finds are now happily ensconced in our home. Remember that desk we found? And the chairs? Jason and his mom painted the desk black for me and we spray painted the chair red and here they are!

We still need to put the drawer pulls back on, but I think it turned out really nicely!

But here's where I need your help. We painted the desk in a glossy enamel color. And then gave it over a week to dry. But the other day I went to pick up a magazine that was lying there, and the back cover had stuck to the desk and left little bits of paper behind. Waaahhh!!! How does one fix this? Do we just have to sand and repaint that part? Or is there some magical, mystical solvent that will remove it? Club Soda? White vinegar? Pixie dust mixed with the good dreams of happy children? Help me, I beg you! Perhaps we chose the wrong kind of paint.

4. Nate's way with the ladies and general hijinks.

This is what Nate looks like most of the day. His feet are a blur. Why walk when you can run? And there is always something strange in his hand--in this case one of those squishy, slimy ball things. Could there be a more boyish boy? I love this little dude.

And he is still is Mr. Smooth with the chicks. I notice now that whenever anyone comes over to visit, he changes from talking normally to using an on-stage type of voice, and he does this thing now where he tilts his head to one side and runs around in circles. Like some kind of crazed puppy. That's my boy!

5. Now for the minutia.
You know what? I'll get back to you on that. It's rather minute, and I'm so tired I don't really remember what I was gonna say about it. And yes, I recognize the contradiction of leaving something unresolved in a "how did all that turn out?" post. Oh, the cruel, cruel irony. And the excitement! Yeah, I know how to keep you comin' back for more, don't I?

I am off to bed. To sleep, perchance to be awakened in two hours. Have a great day, y'all!

6 comments:

  1. Nate is 100% boy ! Think of the calories he burns up in a normal day. He is so cute and quite the entertainer ! Now about that little miscreant-Grace.Put her in a package with a lot of foam peanuts and ship her to us. We'll gladly get up every two hours with her. She might be easier to ignore if she were in another bedroom. About that stuck on magazine page- wet a sponge and wring it out till it is slightly damp. Place it on the page and leave it about 30 minutes. Then rub gently to try to remove it. If no luck, spray with WD 40 and let it soak. Try it in an out of the way place first. WD 40 is kinda magic. Good luck and let me know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just asked your Mom how she knew what to advise you about the finish on the desk. I wondered if she had done a little research. The answer is SHE MADE IT UP! So, try the WD40 thing in a very inconspicuous place.

    As for Nate, that boy will one day make young ladies dizzy, and it won't be from his running in circles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think think think that maybe you didn't let it dry between coats?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I hadn't thought of the WD 40 thing, but it is definitely going to work. Remember in My Big Fat Greek Wedding how that family sprayed Windex on everything? I am like that with WD40.

    And that orange dust! Is crazy! You should also post a pic of the Harbor Bridge under normal circumstances, for comparison.

    I am sorry that Grace is being such a toot. I will speak to her about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Becky, who are you to post as I post? You are whom??

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bets--you may be right...I hadn't thought of that. The ways of paint are a mystery to me!

    And laughing about the WD 40 thing. I don't even know if you can get that here, but surely there's an equivalent. If not, i can always try Windex, right?

    ReplyDelete