Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Ikea, you make it so easy to love you.

Weren't you just thinking the other day that it's been an awfully long time since I've been to Ikea? No, seriously? Shut up! Cause I was totally thinking that, too! It has been entirely too long, a fact which we remedied this evening.

Not that I needed anything. But since when is that an impediment to a trip to Ikea? Sometimes you need things that you didn't know you needed. Mostly, I just like to stroll, look and see what's new, and avail myself of the hour of free childcare. There was some fun stuff to look at. And I got a new cheese grater! Wheee!

But these new fabrics just about ended me. Check it.






And if that weren't enough. I mean, look at these.


Could you die? Could? You? Die? How fantastic and fun are those? It's a new range of fabric called Annamoa. I stood at the display forever, looking at all the designs, talking to myself, and sort of cocking my head to the side like you do at an art museum. It was slightly pathetic, I'm sure. But I'm in love. "I'm in love and I don't care who knows it!"

(We've previously discussed how quotes from the movie "Elf" can enrich your life. And here is another fine example.)

Anyway, some of the examples shown above were sold out, natch. But I did snag this version.

The color in the photo isn't the greatest, but the fabric is really cute! I have some wooden frames that I'm gonna stretch the fabric over. And when I say "I", I mean "Jason". Then "I" am gonna hang it in our playroom. And then the house will be crushed under the weight of its own whimsy.

Some of you are reading this and thinking, I can't believe I just read a whole post about fabric. (Dad, I might be looking in your direction.) May I suggest that you scroll up and look at those photos again? And perhaps if your heart is still cold and hardened after that, you should rethink your priorities in life. Because who doesn't love pelicans and birdcages and giant crabs? Are you kidding me?


--You can read more about my ongoing relationship with Ikea here and here. I mean, if you're into that sort of thing.

10 comments:

  1. I TOTALLY get your love of Ikea, Amy! I always see neat things there and things I need. I do like the big red crabs. And who wouldn't? It would be dangerous if there were an Ikea closer to us than Atlanta. And then there's the little Swedish meatballs. Delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg must go must go now leave children get keys where are keys find shoes purse go now bye.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy, just to illustrate the fact that I am not merely more mysterious than you imagine, I am more mysterious than you CAN imagine: When I saw the pillows in your post, I immediately thought of the red pillows on Holly's (Hillary Swank's) couch in the movie P.S. I Love You. (Google "Double Take: P.S. I Love You") When I saw the movie, I thought that their placement was quite a bold move in set design and art direction, and even a distraction from the dramatic purpose of the scene.

    So, there! Your dad is a complex and multi-faceted creature...not that makes me a bad person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to admit my eyes were glazing over re: the fabric (jk, I love the colors and the islandness) but then when you expressed yourself with the Elf quote I totally got it. You mean, were you practically bursting and singing this out loud:
    "I'm in a store and I'm SINGING!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm afraid I have a terrible love/hate relationship with Ikea. I love EVERYTHING there. But I hate actually GOING there. For one thing, it's in the bowels of Burbank- with one of the worst parking lots in the city. For another there's just too much stuff! It's overwhelming. I find my head spinning. And then I obsess over putting it all together. The good thing is that I always let myself stop into their little cafe and gorge myself on Swedish meatballs and lingonberry sauce. Ja!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I thought I could do anything remotely creative with some randomly awesome fabric from the heavens that are Ikea, I would be so insanely jealous of you right now.

    Which I am. But not because of the fabric (cute as it may be!). I'm jealous because you have access to an Ikea. And I? Do Not.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So, I see that your relationship with Ikea has not diminished in one bit in 2010:)
    I'm a bit like gretchen, get's a bit overwhelming for me in there sometimes, though I love their hot dogs and icecream...that is the only place in the world I would buy a hot dog from!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE it. And I don't find it the least bit odd that an entire post is about fabric...right up my alley ;). And we may be taking a trip Ikea just because of this post (you need to start asking for a commission discount;).

    ReplyDelete
  9. You killed me! :-) When I opened this post and those pictures popped up in front of me I *did* totally die from the cuteness.
    Oh, IKEA, how I love thine textiles.

    I just said to Mark last night that the last time we were out alone was our big IKEA trip and I starting getting that twitch to go back. I am so happy with the duvet & shams we picked up but we are sorely lacking the accent pillows.
    And then Bam! I open your post and get smacked right in the face with some!

    "And then the house will be crushed under the weight of its own whimsy." Here, here!

    And I say, you find me a situation where an Elf quote *doesn't* enhance the conversation and I'll call you a cotton headed ninny muggins.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for posting the pic so that I could easily borrow it & boast via social media about my purchase of 2 yards of this fun & beautiful fabric today. In case anyone is interested, the store in Long Island has this on clearance right now. An AMAZING $1.99 a yard of which $4 gave me enough to be able to make kitchen curtains for my small NYC apt. complete with little caged birdie who hopefully won't feel as alone once go up. :-)

    ReplyDelete