Monday, January 31, 2011

Say it ain't so

First day of school today, and Nate's first day of kindergarten.


I'm about to go pick him up now, but I think we have achieved liftoff. Successful first day.

It's an interesting gig, this whole parenting thing. Such a mix of emotions. I'm excited for him, but wishing this day hadn't come just quite yet. I trust his teacher and know she's excellent, but I hope she realizes that he is in fact The Golden Child. I feel like we've done well preparing him, but I keep thinking of all the things we've forgotten to teach him. Case in point: how to tuck a shirt in. I realized this morning as I put his uniform on. Nate's wardrobe is pretty much exclusively non-tuckable clothing. He won't know how to tuck his shirt back in after he goes to the bathroom. (Which, by the way, "going potty at school" is a whole other source of angst that I didn't anticipate.) So we had a quick tucking tutorial this morning.

It's hot as blazes here today. Blazes, I tell you! So I'm off to pick up the kids and then we will hide in the pool until sundown.

8 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh!! How do you have two in school?

    I LOVE that top pic. So sweet and grown up. Those uniforms kill me. Be sure to tell us how it went.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those uniforms! Such cute kiddos. Let us know how the little man's first day went!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes there is a lump in my throat. Ava in second grade and Nate in kindergarden . The years slip by, don't they. I can still remember your first day at school. I'm getting a bit verklempt. They are both precious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When Scott became engaged to Stephanie, I had the urgent feeling that I wasn't finished yet. There were many things, we, as parents, still needed to teach him. The years fly by! I some point reality hits that our parenting time with our children is limited. Savor each moment. Kiss your younguns for Aunt Kathy and Uncle John.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, those HATS, Amy! When my kids start school I'm totally lobbying for hats as part of the uniform.

    Hope your sweet boy had a good first day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where's the report of their first day? Did Nate come home full of stories? Did Ava cruise thru the day like an old hand? I want deets, please.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I still say to everyone over here... uniforms are the way to go... save SO much money...

    ReplyDelete
  8. So true! When Ava started Kindy, I balked at the cost of the school dress. Then I came to my senses and realized how much we'd be spending on buying "school clothes" at the mall if she didn't have a uniform. I am a total convert now!

    ReplyDelete