Saturday, November 12, 2011

I used to cry. But now I hold my head up high.

This is one of those days where you are ready for bed by 9pm. Nice but busy!

Today I went to a Fundraising Breakfast for breast cancer research. It's organized and hosted by a neighbor of ours who has survived breast cancer--twice! Their kids go to school with our kids, and I've really enjoyed getting to know her a little over the years. She is someone who, to me, seems like a real grownup. Do you know what I mean? Someone who gets things done and makes things happen. I don't always feel like a grownup in that way. But enough about my issues.

They did a great job with the breakfast--it was really fun. Full of auction items, and gift bags, raffle prizes, fashion shows, and ladies all dressed in pink. Did you know 1 in 11 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer by the time they're 70? I've heard that before, but it just stuns me anew every time I hear it. Obviously, with what Becky has been through, the issue hits a little closer to home now.

Of course there were lighter topics as well. The ladies I was sitting with taught me a lot about laser hair removal! So that was something. Also we shared our rodent woes. It made me feel better that I am not alone in my struggles with *creatures*. My neighbor's husband had to dye his hair pink--he'd pledged to do it if a certain fundraising goal was met. Actually, it suited him quite well. Magenta can work on a guy. I'm telling you--I have seen it! I found a lady to make Ava's birthday cake, I donated some more money for breast cancer research, and I ate some chocolate. A successful morning!

But. I was secretly hoping to win one of the big raffle prizes. There were some good ones! But alas, my name wasn't called. Well, that's not totally true. I did win a bottle of wine, which was nice, though I'm not a big wine person. Whine? Yes. Are you the person who always wins raffles? I think some people just seem to win them more often, though I know that can't be true mathematically. As that one Barbie said, "Math is hard!" Don't confuse me with the facts! I think some folks are just prone to winning those types of things. Are you?

After this, Ava and Nate both had birthday parties to attend. At the same time and taking place in opposite ends of town. Of course. Then, tonight we went to a party. The kids played and bothered the dog, they rolled around in the grass, they all cried at one point or another. Then we played karaoke and I sang "I Will Survive" . I'm sure this doesn't surprise you. And you know what? It felt pretty dang good.

This, my Internet companions, is what I have for you today. A tale of pink hair and statistics, of bush rats and raffle prizes. Of grass-covered kids and disco hits. Sometimes you write the blog, sometimes the blog writes you.

(I don't really know what that means. It sounded like a good ending, though. In theory.)

2 comments:

  1. Good grief, that was a full day! Remember, before children, when weekends were a step DOWN in activity? Heh.

    I know how you love your karaoke. Great song choice too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes! That was a busy day! Any day that ranges from hair removal to rodents to karaoke can't be all bad. And then threes parties. You do stay on the go.

    ReplyDelete